There are certain self-help strategies that serve to combat depression. These strategies are especially beneficial when used with psychotherapy.
- 1 Monitor what you say to yourself
- 2 Write a gratitude journal
- 3 natural remedies
- 4 Sunlight
- 5 Do sports
- 6 Other
Monitor what you say to yourself
People with depression have many negative thoughts. They criticize themselves and others, have low self-esteem, expect the worst, generalize and have no hope for a better future. These thoughts of self-defeat lead them to behaviors that are not adaptive (do not apply to a job, do not take an exam because you are convinced that it will suspend ...).
When we experience a negative emotion, it is preceded by a negative thought. Therefore, if you feel anxious, depressant, hopeless, guilty, etc., examine those thoughts. You can train yourself to recognize those thoughts, question them and replace them with something neutral or more positive.
Write a gratitude journal
This is a notebook or agenda in which you write at least 5 daily things for which you can feel grateful, even if it is something as simple as having a house, having a partner or being able to have breakfast. The goal with the newspaper is to redefine your perspective towards enjoyment and the good things in life and not only in pain and in the negative.
First of all, you should consult a nutrition expert, with your doctor or in specialized stores.
- 5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan): It is an amino acid that is generated naturally in the body. The body uses the amino acid tryptophan to make 5-HTP, which is transformed into the serotonin neurotransmitter. Unlike serotonin, 5-HTP crosses the brain barrier and accesses the brain from the bloodstream. It is also a precursor of the "sleep hormone" or serotonin, which plays a role in mood, appetite and sleep. 5-HTP is sold in many countries as a nutritional supplement to treat anxiety, depression, sleep disorders, eating disorders and fibromyalgia. Do not take 5HTP if you already take an antidepressant. Both increase serotonin levels and too high a level can result in a dangerous condition known as serotonin syndrome.
- SAMe (S-adenosyl methionine): It is another substance that is generated naturally in the body and in high concentrations in the brain. It can also cross the brain barrier and affects the metabolism of neurotransmittersincluding serotonin, dopamine and hormones Although it has been scientifically proven that SAMe is effective in relieving depression, it is not known why. However, whatever the mechanism, this substance works to relieve depression faster than with other drugs and alternative therapies.
If your depression usually occurs in autumn or winter, it can be a seasonal disorder, related to the lack of sunlight. Although in Spain it is not well known in the USA they use what they call “light box” or solar box, which mimic sunlight, improve mood and other symptoms of seasonal syndrome.
Remember that taking prudent and safe sunlight improves mood, in addition to our appearance and production of vitamin D.
According to various studies, sport has the same or greater effect than psychotherapy and medication. When you exercise, you will release endorphin (which will make you feel good), you will look better, you will feel better and you can also socialize.
Although they seem obvious, you should not forget these prescriptions that doctors and psychologists usually give:
- Get enough sleep.
- Go out and socialize: social support is one of the best remedies against depression.
- Practice relaxation techniques.
- Avoid self-medication and drugs.
- Eat a healthy diet.