By now you will have read or watched a video about what is the communication or nonverbal language. You will know how important it is for our relationships to posture or gestures What we do when someone is telling us something important.
In this article I come to tell you about mistakes you should avoid in that nonverbal language when communicating with your partner. Why? Because most of the angry people in a relationship come for a bad nonverbal communication, and a healthy couple is the basis of all happiness. Hence the importance of learning to use your body effectively in a communication.
A correct use of nonverbal language in a relationship makes us assertive people, something that brings us closer to the other person, improving their understanding, understanding and harmony with their emotions.
When someone behaves in a way that we are waiting for while we are telling him something (he makes a gesture, moves his body, or looks the other way), we can interpret it as not paying attention to us, and we think he doesn't care what he is We're counting and we don't care about us either. That can make us angry, and it is normal when we want them to understand us or understand how we feel.
In a sentimental relationship, when one of the two tries to say something to the other, he intends, in most cases, to express how he feels and receive understanding and attention. Sometimes it is more important to enter into "harmony with the feelings" of your partner, than to give your opinion or advice about it.
It is not enough to listen to the other person, you also have to show him that you are listening to him, that you care and empathize with him.
"You don't need to tell me anything, just listen to me and let me vent," they will have told you sometime. So,…
How do I get to tell my partner that what he is telling me matters to me without having to interrupt his conversation?
To have a effective nonverbal communication With your partner you should avoid these common mistakes:
- Lack of attention: Avoid a conversation with your partner while driving the car, you are cooking or doing some homework where you cannot give your full attention.
- Absence of assertive gestures: Looking into the eyes is essential and nodding tells you that you care, that you are following the thread of the conversation.
- Empathize: Do not interrupt at a time of difficult emotional expression, be patient and let it flow.
- Fluency: Let him talk and finish expressing what worries him before giving your opinion. What you think is not so important at that time, and it can also wait.
- Judge: Avoid giving advice or judging what he tells you until he first asks you what you think about it.
- Position: The posture of your body should be directed towards your partner, not on your side or on your back.
- Concentration: Focus on what he is saying, avoid being distracted by other things. Remember that your partner is the most important.
- Urgency: If it is not urgent, look for the moment, if it is urgent, stop what you are doing and spend a moment.
- The moment: If you can't pay your full attention, let them know by postponing the appointment, and look for a time of day where you are protected by email and nothing can interrupt you.
- Do not postpone: Don't let it happen more than a day without hearing what it has to tell you. Remember that it is important for the other person to feel understood.
Advantages vs. Disadvantages of nonverbal communication with your partner
The advantage What we have in our relationship regarding communication with someone we don't know is that we know what our partner likes and doesn't like. It's about learning and adapting to your way of seeing things so that our gestures are interpreted correctly.
The disadvantage is that over several years we accumulate bad memories or badly closed conflicts that can make us have a defensive posture at certain times. This is something to be polished, forgotten, and overcome, for example, by expressing how we feel instead of generating an offensive and accusatory argument towards the other person.
Communicating with our body that we are paying attention improves the health of our romantic relationships to the point that it can save our marriage and bring us the happiness we need for day to day life.