- 1 What is Tinder and how does it work?
- 2 Is Tinder dangerous?
- 3 Recommendations for using Tinder
What is Tinder and how does it work?
Although new technologies and social networks have been used to meet people for decades, it has been in recent years when there has been a growing interest in this way of relating to others. Among the applications for smartphones intended for this purpose in recent years, Tinder has more than 50 million users, most of them young adults between 18 and 24 years old.
Tinder is defined as an application for dating, meetings and even many people consider it a social network, since with it you can chat and get appointments with like-minded people working as an accessible alternative to connect with other people from the comfort of home. To create the profile the user must show a selection of between 1 and 6 photographs and specify their age and gender, a brief description of no more than 500 characters must also be included and can be linked to the Facebook, Instagram and Spotify for additional information.
Once the profile is created, the search preferences are selected; men, women or both, the age range and the maximum distance in kilometers in which we want to find the other candidates. After configuring the profile the user is presented with a series of profiles that meet their search criteria which the interested party must accept or discard anonymously. Finally, once the profile is accepted, if the other person does the same, a private chat called match. And this is the purpose of Tinder; Act as an intermediary between users.
Is Tinder dangerous?
Tinder-type applications allow to expand the social circle of many people, although there is little research about the impact it can have on health of the users.
What should be taken into account is that Tinder and similar applications have certain risks that must be known.
- Within Tinder it is quite common for cyber criminals, who create bots, fake profiles and send spam. The usual way of working is that once the victim has been contacted, they are forwarded to an adult web page in which they will be asked to enter their personal data and a credit card to be able to start the session.
- In Tinder, what matters are relationships in search of sex, without commitment and without obligations. The main danger is that the person gets used to flirting through the application and loses the ability to interact or talk with people in other circumstances, since Tinder offers in a way too much easy casual sex So we can forget other ways of relating to people.
- Another risk is the call spare theory, is the ease it offers, after a first experience with someone, to quickly move on to your next choice. Thus collecting lovers, the ability to fall in love is lost, and relationships become superficial, if it is true that we do not suffer but neither do we love.
- The choices of potential partners are made primarily by physical appearance, which can lead to that users reify people that are presented due to the relative shortage of information provided in profiles, thus emphasizing the importance of photographs in decision making.
- By not knowing most of the other Tinder users, the person has the power to make up their profile with photos expressly selected or even lying in the description, subtracting realism. This mostly happens among people with low self-esteem.
Recommendations for using Tinder
Here are some recommendations to be able to use this application in the most optimal way, which above all is to apply common sense:
- Sincerity is basic. When we create the profile it is very important not to lie in the photo, or in the data (age, profession, etc.) since sooner or later they will discover us.
- Do not create expectations that are too high. It is an application to meet people, to have casual sex and have fun, it is better not to expect to find the love of your life here.
- Be polite and correctIt is very important to treat other users as we would like to be treated.
- Upload quality photos, take care of spelling mistakes, all this will help us to give a good personal image.
- Test the profiles that interest us and try to know them little by little since they could be fake profiles.
Tinder is the fashion application to meet people. It is true that many people use it to have casual sex although several studies have concluded that the use of Tinder does not necessarily mean having more sex or more partners than non-users (Wu Salmeron, Aloma magazine 2019, 37 (1), 35-42). Tinder is simply a tool that helps us meet people and expand their relational horizons. It is our choice to use it or not.
Wu, Oscar. Tinder and risky sexual behavior in Spanish youth. Autonomous University of Barcelona //www.academia.edu/39286012/Tinder_y_conductas_sexuales_de_riesgo